Monday, June 25, 2007

A Bag Full of Trouble


I posted earlier that Cameron Diaz is in Peru touring the city. Well that bag she's wearing caused a little bit of problems with the natives. The Chinese writing on the bag translates to "Serve The People" .
"The phrase, a slogan of the late Chinese Communist leader Mao Zedong, touched a nerve among Peruvians still recovering from the Maoist Shining Path insurgency of the 1980s and early 1990s that left nearly 70,000 dead.
"It alludes to a concept that did so much damage to Peru, that brought about so many victims," Peruvian human rights Pablo Rojas told the Associated Press. "I don't think she should have used that bag where the followers of that ideology did so much damage."
Cameron released a sincere apology:
"I sincerely apologize to anyone I may have inadvertently offended. The bag was a purchase I made as a tourist in China and I did not realize the potentially hurtful nature of the slogan printed on it. I'm sorry for any people's pain and suffering and it was certainly never my intention to reopen what I now know is a painful wound in this country's history,"
An honest mistake for sure. I'm sure I've got some crazy things written in Chinese on some of by belongings, I went thorough an Asian phase.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not done intentionally so I do see a problem with it. I don't think she is that kind of person.

I heard on the radio the other Day that there are a tonne of Non-Asian People walking around with Tats that do not say what they asked for them to say...In chinese. I think that's funny.

JEWELS said...

THAT's GD HILARIOUS! I love it. People should research what's going on to their body...and if they don't they deserve to have "stupid loser" on their arm.

Anonymous said...

I am sure someone must have that for sure..Why do non-asian people get those kind of tats? It's weird if you ask me

Anonymous said...

for sure-I'm stil comtemplating what to get in honor of Maya's birth and me becoming a mother - these things take time and research

Anonymous said...

let me know when you go and I will go with Melissa...